Thursday, December 24, 2009

To blogosphere, with love.

someone was magical enough to put one of e.e. cummings' poems to music.  
listen here while reading.
I have long been an appreciator, nay, lover of the poet e.e. cummings.  The shear audacity of a man who would publish things without capitalizing them (gasp!  Wh-wh-wh-what?!) fascinated me as a child.  How dare he do such a thing?!  In school we read his poem "anyone lived in a pretty how town."  On first read, the entire poem seems like gibberish ("With up so floating many bells down"?  Ok, dude.  Whateva.)  But once you dive into it, explore it, swim around in it a bit, the most beautiful love story emerges from the confusion.  The story of a boy who loved a girl, and a girl who loved him right back and who lived full, rich lives in love.  It is magical.  With Christmas on the horizon (thank you, by the way, Rach, for the wishes on Christmas Eve Eve), I am feeling more and more in the giving mood and so I've been trying to figure out what I can gift to you, dear reader.  I wish I had a photograph to share with you right now, but alas, due to a recent familial tragedy, there hasn't been much time for photo capturing lately.  Hopefully I'll have images to share in the next week, but for now I give you a gift truly from the heart, the gift of poetry.  I fancy myself a wordsmith at times, but not like my man e.e. and so, in the spirit of Christmas, I gift to thee, oh blogosphere,  the poem "i carry your heart with me" by e. e. cummings.  May it warm your heart as it has warmed mine.

i carry your heart with me(i carry it in
my heart)i am never without it(anywhere
i go you go,my dear; and whatever is done
by only me is your doing,my darling)
i fear
no fate(for you are my fate,my sweet)i want
no world(for beautiful you are my world,my true)
and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you

here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life;which grows
higher than the soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)

Happy and Safe Holidays, everyone.

Grandpa, we miss you already.  Love you.

1 comment:

  1. i love it. just want i wanted to read. i hope everythings okay with your family - i admit you have me a little worried.

    merry christmas to you and yours from all of us in Paris!! love you ash!

    ReplyDelete