Saturday, December 22, 2012

A Thousand Words

I could write (and have written) a thousand words about my post-hurricane experience. But nothing I could write would be equal to this picture, which for me speaks at least a thousand words about my experience. These are the boots that got me through those (literal and figuratively) dark days. The boots that kept my feet dry and safe whilst wading through sea water and sewage and tearing down drywall with my bare hands. I can't bring myself to throw them away, even though I know I can never wear them again (they are beyond damaged). So for now, they live in my room, an odd totem to my Sandy experience. And every time I see them, I give thanks for the protection they offered and the stroke of luck that kept me and my home safe during the storm. Thanks, boots.


No comments:

Post a Comment