Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Gone Adventuring

I'm leaving on a trip in a little more than 12 hours and yet I am NOWHERE near ready to go.
Exhibit A: My suitcase--

In no time at all that will need to be able to close and as you can clearly see, it is not at all close to doing that...Eek, I just realized that in this picture my underwear is totally hanging out.  NICE.

Traveling is a little bit stressful, I must say, especially when you are trying to prepare for multiple events requiring different arrays of attire in addition to weather conditions that are less that ideal (A heat wave.  Thanks, Texas).  Then of course there is the actual getting to the airport, which is always a hassle (who is driving me has been planned and re-planned about 8 times today).  But then, after the sitting and waiting, becoming more and more irritated by the very silly travelers you decided to people watch (aka spy on), something miraculous happens-- You literally FLY through the air.  Does this amaze anyone else?  Because it TOTALLY knows me out.  It is one of the rare times in life that you actually get to live out one of your childhood fantasies and you don't even have to flap your "wings" or leap of the roof of the garage.

And then, after all of this, you land at your destination and an adventure begins, whether it be big or very very small.  Sometimes just getting back to your house can be a daring, potentially life threatening deed (hello, NYC taxi rides).  Or maybe you are visiting a place for the first time, and new exciting things lie around every turn.  Whatever the case may be, it occurs to me that the stress of traveling is often completely unwarranted.  I say, approach your little adventure head on and enjoy the ride.

And if you find that it is too hard in these difficult economic times to go adventuring, think about using your imagination.  There are adventures to be had in your home town (there's a tunnel under Los Gatos?) or use that powerful mind of yours and on go on a virtual vacation, even if it is only for 5 minutes.  Whatever you decide, let yourself be free to really enjoy your time away from the everyday.  You won't regret it.

With a little luck, my little travel adventure tomorrow will bring me here and to people I love:

No comments:

Post a Comment