Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Nerd Renaissance

Yes, this is New Zealand. No, it is not fair to the rest of the world that it really looks like this.

So...I've posted one thing so far, but I'm sure somebody is wondering what in god's name started this whole renaissance thing? And I'll tell you, though I am slightly embarrassed to say it (and why should I be? After all, this feeling didn't stop me from tattooing nerdy things on my body): Peter Jackson. Ok, ok, that's sort of a cop out. What I'm really talking about is Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. Yeah, yeah. I'm one of those.

No, but seriously, I have a special connection to this film and here's why-- seeing it in the movie theaters was the first time in my life that I thought about becoming a filmmaker or even a director one day. For some reason, before seeing this film, I didn't really realize that we (and by "we" I mean artists and, more importantly, humans) could tell stories like that, in that way. It amazed me and I remember saying to myself "I want to do THAT."

Obviously, because of this I instantly fell instantly in love with this film (and the series). I bought the extended cuts of all three films and watched them dozens of times. Every day for a month I would come home and put Fellowship on while I did my homework. I poured over every moment of the film, every extra feature. Certain friends of mine will tell you that we have inside jokes based on inside jokes from people in this film. Yeah...

Before this past weekend, I hadn't watched Fellowship in probably a year and a half, something that is quite strange for me. Sad to say, my true nerdy side got squashed by school and student teaching. I literally forgot about all the silly things that pique my interest and brighten my day. And so, this weekend, as I watched this film it was as though I was seeing it with new eyes. And I suddenly realized, I remembered what it is that I want to do with my life, at least one day. I began to understand the path that I need to go down now. I really do want to be an artist. I really do want to be a director. And even more importantly, I need to do those things, to be those things because otherwise, I don't really feel like I'm living. Thus...RENAISSANCE.

Woah...heavy...

1 comment:

  1. I think "dozens of times" is a SEVERE understatement. I think that you really mean "hundreds, maybe even a thousand times."

    And I honestly didn't know that was your main reason for loving it.

    ReplyDelete